Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Entry #2- My connection to nature and first experience with Colloquium

Personally I don’t have a lot of experience outdoors. Growing up I did gymnastics which is an indoor sport and that took up most of my time besides school. I went to an elementary school right near FGCU called Pinewoods Elementary and learned a bit about the environment there because like FGCU it’s built into nature not around it. Growing up we would have panthers at our school and experienced a different outlook on wildlife then you would going to a school in the city. My mom is an avid environmentalist and is always pushing for the family to do something outdoors. Growing up she was always interested in what was going on in the environment and pushed to do things like kayak, hike, or even just go for a picnic at Koreshan. She’s started an environmental club where she teaches at Pinewoods Elementary and even planted a school garden that’s been in the News Press numerous times. She prides herself on making sure her students have a role in the environment everyday they are at school. A lot of me being aware of my surroundings had to do with the positive influence of my parents. Most kids aren’t aware because their parents aren’t aware and they learn from what they do. I don’t have much anxiety about this class besides the fact that I don’t really care for reptiles. An encounter with a snake would be the only thing that could really scare me away! The FGCU campus tour opened my eyes to a lot on campus that I’ve never really noticed before. I never even knew there were campus trails and never really noticed the many different kinds of plants surrounding the school. Usually I just come to campus for class and leave, never really taking into perspective what surrounds me. On the tour with Adam I learned more about the controlled burning and how fires can actually be GOOD for the woods. Natural occurrences are supposed to happen and shouldn’t be stopped because we think they are better. I also think it’s awesome that the bridge passing from the parking garage to the new dorms has an underground tunnel for animals to pass. It’s sad how many animals die every day from being hit by automobiles. It’s not fair to them considering WE are the one’s entering into their natural habitat and then we are the reason for them dying. From the tour I’ve learned to see our campus in a new light and really appreciate it for what it is. In my eyes there is no other campus like FGCU’s in the nation and I’m proud to be a student at an environmentally aware and friendly school. J
This picture overlooks an aerial view of campus showing that much of the land is still conserved and will always be conserved.



This picture to me is crazy. This fire came dangerously close to campus, and the dorms were never evacuated. Luckily it didn't reach FGCU or any of our conservation land.

No comments:

Post a Comment